Re: [Geopriv] Question on use of "Speed" in Location Object (PIDF-LO)

From: James M. Polk ^lt;jmpolk@cisco.com>
Date: Sun Aug 06 2006 - 19:54:03 EDT

At 08:59 AM 8/2/2006 -0400, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>We have a real application for a real customer, namely vehicle
>tracking for fleet management. Are you suggesting we draft a document
>that is essentially 4119 + speed, and called something other than
>PIDF-LO?

Well... anyone looking back at the really old discussions within this WG
will see that we did discuss speed, velocity, the direction of travel, the
direction the target is pointed in (regardless of the direction the target
is traveling in), vector, temperature of the target, wind speed (felt by
target), current (as in that of water against the target), acceleration,
the delta of any of these from the previous measurement, and many other
elements. I think Rohan also made a valid case for "Nautical dead
reckoning" be added if any of the others were.

The decision at the time by our chairs (and that of Ted as he was first
being bomb-blasted by us as a new AD) was to have these elements be part of
"Geopriv Phase II"... whatever that meant.

That said, I don't really think speed is 4119 + speed, but 4119 + (phase II
elements - which share something similar in characteristic (i.e. the list
above, in addition to speed)).

I think a separate doc detailing where each of these (and others?) go in a
PIDF-LO would be considered a single new idea worthy of a document in and
of itself. We should agreed that there is a phase III, so the really
minute elements are all added to this Phase II doc - but I think it is
worthy of a separate doc, to address as a WG in whole, and not bog down the
pidf-lo-profile doc.