From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 17:38:11 EDT

Again, the problem is that looking at this at the SIP layer yields
strange results: Even if we ignore emergency services, if I say "no
retransmission" when calling PizzaHut, does this mean the dispatcher
can't tell the delivery driver where to deliver my pizza? Or AAA
can't tell the tow truck driver where to fix my flat tire? Does it
matter whether the tow truck company uses Skype or XMPP instead of SIP?

Since these are not crypto mechanisms but rather rely on the
cooperation of all parties, having semantics that actually make some
common sense would seem to be helpful. If the user inserting the flag
(and totally clueless about protocols) can't predict who will or will
not get information or why a call would fail, the whole exercise
seems kind of pointless from a privacy perspective. It just becomes
one of these click-to-stop-annoying-me check-off boxes.

Henning