From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 08:53:55 EDT

On May 9, 2007, at 12:47 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:

> Henning, the fact that you don't believe in the use cases I've put
> forward is fine.
> People are bound to disagree. But you are predicting the future by
> saying that
> there never will be a case where it is important for the end user
> to pass location
> to the end recipient with this header but disallow routing based on
> it.
>
> That's a reach. Engineering to allow for it now is trivial;
> preventing it now and
> re-introducing later is a pita.

I thought the burden of proof for introducing new features is on the
person introducing those, not the other way around.

I'm sure to cite your argument next time I want a protocol element...

> I was thinking only emergency service got to ignore the SHOULD, but
> if you want
> to make it MUST and let emergency services violate that, I'm fine
> with that too.

My general complaint is that any document that has a SHOULD must
qualify that document with a sentence that says something like

An implementation SHOULD do something or other unless [state concrete
condition that is the exception].

>> These aren't really different headers. I'm guessing what you mean
>> is something like this:
>>
>> Geolocation: cid:something ;route, http://foo.bar
>
> No, I really meant separating it into two different headers. You
> could
> do it with two Geolocation headers and an indicator of which use case
> it is for; frankly, that's a syntax choice about which I don't care
> a lot.
> The semantic of separating the two use cases is what I assumed was
> moving us forward.

The problem with two fields is that this makes things more
complicated for the common case that there is one location element
that is used for both routing and the use of end systems. You'd have
to have two header fields, for no good reason.

Henning