From: Ted Hardie ^lt;hardie@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 16:31:36 EDT

At 8:48 AM -0400 5/9/07, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>On May 9, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>>At 9:27 PM -0400 5/8/07, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>>>This does not address my question at all. First, I'm not sure what you define as "service provider". If 'service provider' is the pizza deliverer as opposed to the call center, this is not too helpful, since almost all location-based calls will require the release of in
>>>formation to them to be useful.
>>
>>Stop. Read the following sentence carefully:
>>
>>As currently described, not all calls which will contain the Geolocation header
>>will route based on it.
>>
>>Do you agree with this?
>
>That's certainly correct, but in those cases, a header or declaration of any sort is unnecessary.

Do you think that the header is unnecessary in that case? So you don't see any
use cases where the Geolocation header will be used to provide the location
only to the end recipient?

>The issue you keep missing is that of choice. I believe and have tried to demonstrate that there are two cases of practical interest:
>
>(1) The URI is a normal SIP destination, which performs no routing. No flag of any sort is needed since no proxy is trying to use any location information for anything.
>
>(2) The URI is either a service URN or another URI that needs further routing. In that case, any flag is useless since the call will fail without it. Thus, the flag or indication offers no additional privacy, unless you consider call failure privacy.

Any flag which says "no" will cause it to fail. A "yes" or "routing-permitted" would
allow it to go through.

>Let me turn the question around, maybe to clarify your intent:
>
>Do you want an indication that says, basically, "If you want to do location-based call routing, please fail the call instead"?

More or less. I want it to say "The location provided here is for the end recipient; if
you want to do location-based call routing, please fail the call." The user can then
decided if they want to relax the privacy constraints and allow it, or not.

                                Ted