From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 17:53:02 EDT

I should probably heed Ted's advice, but can't resist: privacy is all
about distribution and access to information; it has nothing to do
with processing. According to your logic, it would be perfectly ok to
multicast the LO to anybody, given that it would only be stored-and-
forwarded at layer 3. I have to admit that I find the distinction
between a protocol 'reading' the LO when it does normal SIP protocol
processing and when it invokes some logic to be a stretch and not
supported by anything having to do with privacy.

I think the discussion shows that our foundational documents lack
clarity and motivation, as they don't actually explain the goals and
provide guidance that corresponds to these goals (presumably, privacy
from third parties).

Henning