[Geopriv] New ID creating DHCP LbyR URI delivery Option

From: James M. Polk ^lt;jmpolk@cisco.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 17:55:43 EDT

Geopriv WG

Here is the announcement of a new and real simple ID that creates and
IANA registers a DHCP Option for delivering a Location-by-Reference
(LbyR) URI to an endsystem.

+ I believe we want this LbyR value to be all inclusive, meaning not
break up the Option by having separate DHCP fields for each URI
parameter and/or header parameter another protocol, such as SIP,
might use. This allows for a simple single value Option in DHCP, and
only one length field - for the whole option. I believe the
characters within the URI will provide any delineation necessary,
such as the ' < ', ' > ', and ' ; ' signs used in the ABNF of SIP
header structure. Does anyone disagree with this?

+ What I don't know is if this Option should identify which type of
URI is present (sip, sips, pres...). Anyone have thoughts on make
this an explicit field in the Option (where the URI will already
indicate this)?

+ I'm also not sure if this Option should identify UTF-16, and
therefore also UTF-8, characters as a separate Option field. Any
opinions on this? I could add a "Reserved" field of a byte or two
just for these types of extensions in the future, whenever they are
wanted or needed. Thoughts?

+ I currently state in this ID that

         "LbyR URIs SHOULD NOT reveal identity information of the
user of the device,
           since DHCP is a cleartext delivery protocol."

Should this "SHOULD NOT" be a "MUST NOT"? I know we don't want
identity info in this, but is that need strong enough to be a MUST
NOT strength here in DHCP?

+ Additional comments are appreciated.

James