Re: [Geopriv] Draft Updates "GEO TAGS for HTML"

From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2007 - 11:48:27 EDT

The reason to use as much of the existing mechanisms as possible is
precision. We've gone through a fair amount of effort to think about
the tags, so that the receiver actually knows what they mean, across
country boundaries. This has nothing to do with HELD, although mobile
devices may well publish information about themselves that way.
Precisely because webmasters don't know anything about geo and civic
data, we shouldn't leave them to their own guesses. I don't see the
4119 tags as complex, as they correspond pretty naturally to the way
that people write their address. Well-structured information is
important since the most important consumer of this information are
likely to be search engines, not people.