Re: [Geopriv] Draft Updates "GEO TAGS for HTML"

From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 10:22:23 EDT

I hope we're not having the discussion based on "existing software",
as this essentially means that you might as well stop asking this
group for input.

On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Andrew Daviel wrote:

>> The space-only version simply conforms to the XML version. The
>> semicolon adds no particular value here.
>

> True. It's just a separator that doesn't occur in the data.
>
> The geo.xxx data occur in HTML META elements (or HTTP headers), not
> XML.
> The HTML elements in particular are intended to be lightweight and
> to not require the mandatory correctness of XML to ease their
> adoption by Web page creators.
> While a space would work equally well, I don't see any advantage in
> changing existing software to conform to a standard that does not
> apply.
> Unless, of course, it's the majority opinion that it should be
> changed to progress the draft.

I think GEOPRIV is a pretty good example that the IETF has no good
way to determine majorities reliably :-)

My general concern is that inconsistency leads to mistakes. This
working group, at least, should try to stick to one way to encode data.