RE: [Geopriv] HELD comment on responseTime parameter

From: Dawson, Martin ^lt;Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 00:34:03 EDT

Hi Cullen, There are certainly some people who haven't changed their stated opinion. As ever, despite the consensus theory, any given thread in Geopriv seems to have 90% of the emails generated by 3 or 4 people, the rest by one or two others. Who knows what the majority view is? It's easy to suspect that most subscribers don't actually read the thread, let alone have an opinion. So, procedural conundrums aside - and given you've stuck your head over the trench :) - What do you think? In particular, how do you recommend the following be addressed? "A LIS has three or more methods of location determination, or a single method of location determination, where accuracy improves the longer the response time that is incurred. How does a LIS know which method to use, or how long to spend on a given method?" Henning's response is that this is not a real issue even though it is demonstrably the case in wireless deployments today*. Actually, I wouldn't care about this topic except that I do know it's a real issue. Brian has avoided answering the question I believe. I suggest the following definition for an optional parameter. Let's call it "within". "This parameter provides a quantified value for the time in which the client would like to get a location result. The LIS may use this value to determine the method of location determination and to provide the optimum accuracy given this guidance. The LIS may take longer than the indicated time to provide a response but cannot assume that the client will be able to make use of the result. If the parameter is not provided, then the LIS should assume that a response is required immediately and the fastest available method of location determination should be invoked." I'm agnostic about the last sentence - in particular whether the default actually means ASAP or MostAccurate. I don't think the detractors of this parameter are particularly consistent on this point either. I'd actually suggest that explicit semantics should be defined for both ASAP and MostAccurate to eliminate the guesswork. I think only one of them can be the default... Cheers, Martin * Ever the useful resort of the dogmatist, this could be termed the "I reject your reality and substitute my own." ruse. (with apologies to Adam Savage) :) -----Original Message----- From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:fluffy@cisco.com] Sent: Tuesday, 14 August 2007 12:33 PM To: Dawson, Martin Cc: Rohan Mahy; geopriv@ietf.org; Mary Barnes Subject: Re: [Geopriv] HELD comment on responseTime parameter On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:37 AM, Dawson, Martin wrote: > Am I overly optimistic? Yes - I don't think I saw anyone change their opinion on this thread. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any unauthorized use of this email is prohibited. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [mf2]