RE: [Geopriv] LIS vs. LCP Terminology: Summary

From: Brian Rosen ^lt;br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 11:54:05 EDT

NENA has agreed on the following definition of a LIS:
A Location Information Server (LIS) is a functional entity that provides
locations of endpoints. A LIS can provide Location-by-Reference, or
Location-by-Value, and, if the latter, in geo or civic forms. A LIS can be
queried by an endpoint for its own location, or by another entity for the
location of an endpoint. In either case, the LIS receives a unique
identifier that represents the endpoint, for example an IP address,
circuit-ID or MAC address, and returns the location (value or reference)
associated with that identifier. The LIS is also the entity that provides
the dereferencing service, exchanging a location reference for a location
value.