Re: [Geopriv] GEOPRIV Experiment at IETF 71

From: Richard Barnes ^lt;rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 10:08:43 EDT

Hi Karl Heinz,

Glad to provide more details. See responses inline:

> Any problems with the setup? Is NetDisco suitable? What about the SNMP
> traffic caused by your setup? How often did you do the SNMP querries?

This was actually something that we the experimenters (James, Hannes,
and I), didn't have access to. Bill Fenner from the NOC reconfigured
NetDisco to offer an XML/HTTP interface, and we just used that
interface. The way it worked was that the LIS would send a GET to a URL
of the following form ...

<http://peter/netdisco/public_locate_user.xml?ip=130.129.5.6>

... and the result would be an XML structure of the following form ...

<civicAddress>
   <country>US</country>
   <A1>Pennsylvania</A1>
   <A3>Philadelphia</A3>
   <A6>Market</A6>
   <STS>Street</STS>
   <HNO>1201</HNO>
   <LOC>NE</LOC>
   <FLR>4</FLR>
   <PC>19107</PC>
   <ROOM>Franklin 6/7</ROOM>
</civicAddress>

The LIS simple re-packaged that civicAddress structure into a PIDF-LO
document in a HELD locationResponse and returned it to the client.

> Did you collect data in advance or did you do the location
> determination on demand? How many switches/access points did you
> query?

The location we returned was just the location of the AP that the client
IP was connected to. The locations of the APs were entered into the
NetDisco database manually, as they were being installed. I don't know
the precise number, but I think that Bill said they had 100-200 APs.

> How many clients were in your database?

Again, the LIS wasn't maintaining the database, just querying NetDisco
for locations in the manner described above. So the LIS had access to
the positions of all the hosts connected to the IETF network (>1K, I
think?). On the other hand, we only had 5 or 6 users of the experiment
(because the client software I wrote didn't run very well), so the LIS
only ever queried for location on a few hosts.

> How did you detect changes/new clients in the network?

This was a NetDisco internal function, but I think that NetDisco was
querying access points for updates at around a 5 minute interval.

> How long did a location request last?

I don't have precise numbers (that would have been a good idea!), but it
was reasonably fast, no more than, say, 5 seconds.

I'll send more details off-list,
--Richard