Re: [Geopriv] The 's' in HELD

From: Winterbottom, James ^lt;James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 17:40:07 EDT

Hi Tim,

I am not sure what you mean by a business relationship with the access
provider. The Target device must have had a sufficient enough
relationship with the access provider that they were able to connect to
the network in the first place. Could you elaborate on your concerns
please?

Cheers
James

Behalf
> Of Tim Thome
> Sent: Thursday, 1 May 2008 4:27 AM
> To: Richard Barnes
> Cc: GEOPRIV; Mary Barnes; Thomson, Martin
> Subject: Re: [Geopriv] The 's' in HELD
>
> Richard raises a good point, as devices may have requirements for
> emergency contexts... including support for devices that do not have a
> business relationship with the network access and/or service provider.
>
> Should this context be handled separately?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim
>
> Richard Barnes wrote:
> > Is TLS really used for every HELD transaction, as opposed to being
> > available for every transaction? This seems to be a deviation from
the
> > normal pattern for Internet protocols to have a base protocol
without
> > TLS and an (mandatory) option to use TLS as desired. More
importantly,
> > it seems like TLS might be undesirable in some circumstances, e.g.,
> > emergency calling.
> >
> > Is there a reason for this extra-strong requirement?
> >
> > --RB
> >

> > Thomson, Martin wrote:
> >
> >> I missed this in the changes for -06. Please forgive my ignorance,
but
> >> I wasn't there at -71 and it appears that only the conclusion was
> >> captured, not the rationale. The minutes focus on whether there
should
> >> be a URI scheme or not, but make what seems (to me) to be a logical
> >> leap:
> >>
> >> Question: Does this HELD: scheme require TLS? Ans: Yes.
Then
> >> it needs
> >> to be a HELDS: scheme.
> >>
> >> I don't believe that the letter 's' addresses "concerns over
> referential
> >> integrity" as stated by the held-06 change-log. So can anyone
justify
> >> the above statement? Is there some IETF guideline I don't know of
that
> >> states that URI schemes for protocols that use TLS have an extra
's'?

> >> Cheers,
> >> Martin

> -------------------------
> >> This message is for the designated recipient only and may
> >> contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.
> >> If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
> >> immediately and delete the original. Any unauthorized use of
> >> this email is prohibited.

> >> [mf2]
> >>

> --
> Tim Thome - <mailto:tthome@kyocera-wireless.com>