Re: [Geopriv] REMINDER Re: WGLC: draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-17

From: creed@opengeospatial.org
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 13:56:16 EDT

James -

The GML geometry and feature elements used in PIDF-LO GML schema are
totally compatible between GML 3.1.1 and GML 3.2.1. The vast majority of
GML development is still in 3.1.1. I would say that 3.1.1 is a stable
platform for implementation and will be for some time.

Please note, however, that the OGC members are currently beginning the GML
4.0 revision process. There is currently an open call for change requests.
This call closes in September. That said, the actually completion of the
work on version 4.0 will not happen until late next year. And then we need
to coordinate with ISO. So, the full blown transition to 4.0 as an
International Standard (ISO) will not happen until 2010. So, I would say
we have a 2 year window before 3.1.1 is totally deprecated and no longer
used as the GML development platform

Of course, this does not mean 3.1.1 cannot be used. For example, the OMA
MLP API references GML 2.1.2 - and 2.1.2 is something like 5 years old. We
would like OMA to upgrade to 3.1.1 or 3.2 but they are happy with using
2.1.2 as MLP is a stable standard with many implementations.

Apologies for the slight wander . . . but the decision to move from 3.1.1
to a new version depends on requirements, current market conditions, and
so forth combined a consensus agreement to move.

Hope this helps.

Carl