Re: [Geopriv] W3C geolocation WG

From: Dawson, Martin ^lt;Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 19:58:06 EDT

Hi Carl,

Your reference is to an incubator group on emergency information
interoperability. This is distinct from the geolocation working group
that Alex referenced isn't it?

Anyway - I think it's great that W3C are working on this. I would expect
that they are primarily focussed on *conveyance* for web services. We
have plenty of acquisition (LCP) options, there is conveyance for
presence (SIP), but we need all the interested application domains to
have their appropriate conveyance methods. I had expected to see plugins
for common browsers that can link the client's LCP capability into the
web application stream. It will be even nicer if W3C define this as a
standard browser capability.

I suggest our first goal should be to ensure that they adopt PIDF-LO as
the data-type to minimize the risk of unnecessary transcoding.

Cheers,
Martin