Re: [Geopriv] W3C geolocation WG

From: creed@opengeospatial.org
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 12:00:57 EDT

Apologies for the confusion.

There has been a Geospatial Incubator project, which closed last year. I
participated in this project - but no direct standards work was done -
more suggestions for other possible W3 activities in geosemantics.

There is now the Geolocation API activity. This activity IS NOT aligned
with any other standards activity that I am aware of, including the OGC
Location Services Interface standards and the IETF work in GeoPriv. I have
been in touch with the W3C staffer that is involved but we have not been
able to connect by phone. I believe that the API was submitted from a W3C
member (Google I think). I tried to get in touch with the proper folks at
Google but have not been able to get contact information.

I would strongly encourage members of this group to comment on the work. I
will also be pushing the OGC Location services community to comment.

The OGC is a W3C member, so I can provide comments on behalf of any
organization who is not a W3C member.

I do have issues with this work being aligned with other SDO activity.

Regards

Carl