Re: [Geopriv] [dhcwg] FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option-03.txt

From: Ralph Droms ^lt;rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 07:11:27 EST

Here's my review of this draft. Additional reviews welcome...

Is there a reason not to define a DHCPv6 version of this option in the
same document? Seems to me the syntax and semantics would be
identical for IPv4 and IPv6; all that would be needed would be another
section defining the DHCPv6 option syntax.

 From section 2.1:

    The <Valid-For> field indicates how long, in seconds, the client is
    to consider this Location-URI valid before performing a refresh of
    this Option, with a refreshed <Valid-For> value. A refresh MAY be
    done merely at the normal DHCP refresh rate, or necessitated by this
    timer, perhaps with the client just requesting this Option be
    refreshed.

What is a "refresh of this option"? I thought the idea is to hand out
a permanent URI through which other devices can determine the location
of the DHCP client host. Under what circumstances would the URI
change, esp. without the DHCP lease requiring a renewal? It might be
clearer to explain that "the client just requesting this Option be
refreshed" would likely be implemented through a DHCPINFORM/DHCPACK
message exchange.

Following paragraph:

    It is RECOMMENDED when the counter associated with this <valid-for>
    value has passed, the client perform a refresh of this Option. For
    example, if 600 was the initial value of the <valid-for> field, when
    300 seconds have passed, the Option SHOULD be refreshed.

I think there might be some text missing in this paragraph referring
to 1/2 of the <valid-for> value?

First paragraph of section 3:

    The [RFC3046] RAIO MUST be utilized to provide the appropriate
    indication to the DHCP Server where this DISCOVER or REQUEST message
    came from, in order to supply the correct response. That said, this
    Option SHOULD NOT be in a DISCOVER message, because there is zero
    knowledge by the client of which Server will answer.

I infer that any one of the RAIO sub-options that can be used to
determine a client's location would be appropriate here? Is an RAIO
the only way in which the DHCP server can determine the client's
location? I don't understand the last sentence and the importance of
"zero knowledge by the client of which Server will answer."

Later in section 3:

    In the case of residential gateways being DHCP servers, they usually
    perform as DHCP clients in a hierarchical fashion up into a service
    provider's network DHCP server(s), or learn what information to
    provide via DHCP to residential clients through a protocol such as
    PPP. In these cases, the Location-URI would likely indicate the
    residence's civic address to all wired or wireless clients within
    that residence. This is not inconsistent with what's stated above.

I think the implication here is that the residential gateway will pass
this option to any devices in the residential network. If I have that
right, it might improve clarity to state that expectation explicitly.

- Ralph