[Geopriv] Review of draft-thomson-geopriv-held-measurements

From: Bernard Aboba ^lt;bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 15:33:16 EDT

Overall, I think this document needs more work.

Section 5.1

This section needs some additional text explaining the usage scenarios.

 In a situation where an LLDP node includes location information (e.g.
MED TLVs), it would seem odd to disregard that location information and
instead request the LIS to determine location based on "measurement
info". Given this, I assume that the goal is to enable LLDP to be used to determine location in a situation where the devices don't support MED attributes, or where the operator does not want to provision each device with this information, preferring to provision the LIS instead. Since the LLDP-MED MIB enables the sending of traps, there seems to be an assumption that updating the clients to submit the information via HELD would be simpler than updating the LIS to import the same info via SNMP.

Also, LLDP is an extensible protocol. On reading this section, I was unclear whether the schema was capable of including arbitrary LLDP TLVs, including vendor-specific ones.

Section 5.3

In addition to the information provided in the basic schema, I'm wondering whether it wouldn't also be useful to enable encoding of "Radio Resource
Measurement" information from specifications such as IEEE 802.11k. This could enable encoding of things like the spectral region (relevant for attenuation), rate, etc.

Should I assume that the channel isn't included for the neighbors because they are on the same channel as the "serving WAP"?

Also, is the RTT measuring the time between a request and a response, or the time between a request and an ACK?

Section 5.6.1

L2TP is an extensible protocol. In some cases, relevant measurement info is provided in vendor-specific
attributes. On reading this section, I was unclear whether the schema
was capable of including arbitrary L2TP attributes.

Section 5.6.2

RADIUS is also an extensible protocol. In some cases, relevant measurement info is provided in vendor-specific attributes. On reading this section, I was unclear whether the schema was capable of including arbitrary RADIUS attributes.