Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: Call for consensus: WG item adoption - HELD Measurement

From: Carl Reed ^lt;creed@opengeospatial.org>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2010 - 12:33:53 EDT

As the semantics of measurement and observation have been harmonized with OGC/ISO standards, I have no problem with HELD measurement moving forward. That siad, I should add that for future work in which observations and their related properties (such as measure) are to be modeled and encoded, I would encourage the group to consider the OGC Observations and Measurements standards. A revision of the current standard will soon be an ISO standard as an OGC standard. The standard consists of two parts: An abstract model and also the associated encoding schema (OMXML). An example is below.

Regards

Carl

The following could be made simpler but instead includes information about the temperature at the time the observation was produced, information about the processes related to the observation, and so forth.

<om:OM_Observation
 gml:id="obsTest1"
 xmlns:om="http://www.opengis.net/om/2.0"
 xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
 xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2"
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/om/2.0 http://schemas.opengis.net/om/2.0/observation.xsd">

 <gml:description>Observation test instance: fruit mass</gml:description>
 <gml:name>Observation test 1</gml:name>
 <om:type xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/observationType/OGC-OM/2.0/OM_Measurement"/>
 <om:phenomenonTime>
  <gml:TimeInstant
   gml:id="ot1t">
   <gml:timePosition>2005-01-11T16:22:25.00</gml:timePosition>
  </gml:TimeInstant>
 </om:phenomenonTime>
 <om:resultTime xlink:href="#ot1t"/>
 <!-- a notional URL identifying a procedure ... -->
 <om:procedure
  xlink:href="http://www.example.org/register/process/scales34.xml"/>
 <!-- environmental conditions during measurement -->
 <om:parameter>
  <om:NamedValue>
   <om:name xlink:href="http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/ontology/property.owl#Temperature"/>
   <om:value xsi:type="gml:MeasureType" uom="Cel">22.3</om:value>
  </om:NamedValue>
 </om:parameter>
 <!-- a notional URN identifying the observed property -->
 <om:observedProperty
  xlink:href="http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.0/phys.owl#Mass"/>
 <!-- a notional WFS call identifying the object regarding which the observation was made -->
 <om:featureOfInterest
  xlink:href="http://wfs.example.org?request=getFeature&amp;featureid=fruit37f "/>

 <om:result
  xsi:type="gml:MeasureType"
  uom="kg">0.28</om:result>
 <!-- The XML Schema type of the result is indicated using the value of the xsi:type attribute -->

</om:OM_Observation>